Location: Spencer Mountain to The Boathouse (meet at The Boathouse, shuttle provided)
If you are ready to experience an authentic river with experienced guides, the half day paddling experience is for you. Guests will meet at The Boathouse at the South Fork Trailhead and after a safety talk you’ll be shuttled 15 minutes to Spencer Mountain where you’ll put in with 2 experienced guides who will help you navigate this beautiful stretch of the South Fork of the Catawba.
This kayaking experience is great for those who are comfortable in the water but might not be experts. It is safe and accessible to many skills levels, but includes low class I rapids in several sections with easy moving, gentle water in between. Each trip will last approximately 3 hours and will conclude back at your car at the South Fork Trailhead.
$50 rental fee includes kayak, paddle, Personal Floatation Device, safety instruction, and a guided trip as well as a shuttle to Spencer Mountain at the put in. Guests should dress comfortably in clothes that can get wet. Shoes with a heel strap, a water bottle, sunscreen, and snacks are encouraged as well and available for sale at the boathouse.
Reservations are encouraged and are available online April – September – maximum of 10 spots per session are available. Morning session departs at 9 AM. Walk-ups may be available if trips are not sold out. The 2021 season is closed.
Interested in a group rate? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Do I need to have kayaking experience?
- No, but you should be comfortable on the water. You might fall out of your boat.
- What should I wear?
- Clothes and shoes you can get wet. Wear shoes with a heel strap – not flip flops. We recommend bringing a change of dry clothes for when you get off the water.
- What should I bring?
- A towel, hat, sunscreen, dry bag, and water bottle. There are no lockers at The Boathouse. You’ll need to stow your belongings in your car. If you bring phone/keys/wallet on the water, we strongly recommend keeping those items in a dry bag. You can buy a Catawba Riverkeeper dry bag in The Boathouse store.
- How old do I have be to participate?
- Do you provide shuttle service if I have my own boat?
- No. At this time Catawba Riverkeeper does not have the capacity to offer shuttle service for people who bring their own boat.